MANILA– Philippine President, Rodrigo Duterte, declared a state of calamity in several regions, to speed up relief efforts for victims of Typhoon Rai that ravaged central and southern Philippine last week.
In a taped public address, aired late last night, Duterte placed Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, and Caraga regions, under the state of calamity, due to the impact of the typhoon.
“I have decided to declare a state of calamity. I will sign it now,” Duterte said, adding that, these worst-affected areas have suffered massive destruction and loss of life.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported that, 156 people died from the typhoon, while the Philippine National Police reported at least 375 deaths. Many more are missing or injured.
Last Thursday afternoon, Typhoon Rai first swept across Siargao Island, off the eastern coast on Mindanao island, in the southern Philippines. It lashed the country for three days, causing flooding and landslides.
Rai exited the Philippines on Saturday, leaving a trail of destruction in the central and southern Philippines, including some areas in the main Luzon island.
The Chinese government yesterday started distributing relief supplies, to help thousands of victims in the typhoon-ravaged areas.
Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines, Huang Xilian, said, Chinese relief goods are on the way. “Our hearts go out to all the Filipino families who were devastated by Typhoon Rai, which has caused massive casualties, as well as, property loss,” Huang said.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK