KUALA LUMPUR A total of 53 people have died of the COVID-19 in Malaysia with 217 newly confirmed cases, bringing the total to 3,333, the Health Ministry said on Friday.

It is the first time that Malaysia recorded more than 200 cases two days in a row. Health Ministry Director-General Noor Hisham Abdullah said at a press briefing that the increase of daily new cases is “expected,” partly due to the “active case detection” strategy, especially in the high-risk areas.

Among the infections, 827 have been cured and discharged from hospital, while 108 are currently being held in intensive care and 54 of those are in need of assisted breathing, he said.

Meanwhile, Health Minister Adham Baba said a quarantine facility at Malaysia Agro Exposition Park Serdang near the capital city of Kuala Lumpur was almost ready as a quarantine and treatment center for mild or asymptomatic COVID-19 patients.

Adham said existing hospitals so far have the capacity to accommodate the increasing number of patients, but the government has decided to be prepared for any eventuality.

“Setting up this facility here is part of the government’s efforts to prepare for all sorts of possibilities that could arise if the COVID-19 outbreak becomes more widespread,” said Adham at a press conference following his visit to the site.

Source: China – ASEAN Business Council

Leave a comment