Cebu Pacific boosts Clark-Singapore route

MANILA: Following consistent flight demand to and from Singapore via the Clark International Airport (CRK), low-cost carrier Cebu Pacific (CEB) has increased operations between the two, from thrice weekly to daily.

“The Clark-Singapore route is one of the routes that we launched when CEB restarted its Clark hub in April 2023. Although flight frequencies change depending on the demand and aircraft availability, the Clark-Singapore flight continues to operate due to consistent demand among travelers from this station and its surrounding areas,” CEB Communications Specialist Roxanne Gochuico told the Philippine News Agency Friday.

CEB’s daily flights to Singapore started June 1.

“As more people travel to Singapore, CRK and CEB are happy to provide even more convenient and hassle-free ways to reach the Garden City,” Noel Manankil, manager of CRK operator Luzon International Premier Airport Development Corp., said.

Meanwhile, CEB recently renewed partnership with the Singapore Tourism Board (STB) not only to p
rovide accessible and affordable flights, but also to further enhance Singapore’s tourism industry by attracting more visitors from the Philippines, fostering cultural exchange and promoting economic growth.

According to CEB, the Philippines was Singapore’s sixth largest tourism market in 2023, with almost 700,000 tourist arrivals.

“Our renewed partnership with STB aims to enhance the appeal for travel to Singapore, focusing now on the country’s array of vibrant events,” Gochuico said.

The carrier also introduced new ambassadors for the initiative and the partnership is set to feature Singapore’s innovative architecture and cultural heritage.

Aside from Clark, the Gokongwei-owned airline also offers thrice daily flights between Manila and Singapore, and daily flights via Cebu.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Line Pay service to be terminated in Japan next year: LY


LY Corp., the operator of popular mobile messenger Line, has announced its plan to terminate its Line Pay service in Japan next year, amid criticism over Japan’s apparent pressure to shed Naver Corp., South Korea’s biggest internet portal operator, from LY.

LY, a 50-50 joint venture between Japan’s SoftBank and South Korea’s Naver, said Thursday the mobile payment service will be terminated by April 30, 2025, in Japan, citing “optimal allocation of management resources.”

The company said some 44 million Japanese users of Line Pay will be able to transfer their balances to PayPay, a similar service provided by SoftBank, while its service will be continued in Thailand and Taiwan.

The decision was made to “selectively focus” management resources in the financial domain by “reorganizing” its business and “integrating” overlapping business areas to expand group synergies, the company explained in the announcement.

LY’s announcement came a month after the company officially said it has been in talks with Naver
over the possibility of changing their capital relationship following a data leak incident last year.

Earlier this year, Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications issued an administrative guidance to LY regarding the incident, urging it to decrease its dependence on Naver apparently by handing over its stake to SoftBank.

In November last year, LY said over 300,000 records of its users’ personal information were leaked after Naver Cloud Corp., Naver’s cloud computing affiliate, came under cyberattack, as the two companies share a common authentication system.

Since then, LY has been taking various measures to lessen Naver’s influence in the company, including the departure of Shin Jung-ho, a key South Korean executive, from its board.

Shin is known as the “father” of Line in South Korea as he developed the service at Naver in 2011.

Japan’s actions drew criticism in South Korea, with many viewing them as an attempt to diminish foreign influence on the widely used online platform in the countr
y.

LY is required to report to the Japanese government with detailed measures to lessen Naver’s influence in LY by July 1, but is expected to not include the issue surrounding the Korean company’s share.

Source: Yonhap News Agency

PRC, PCS renew partnership on disaster, mass casualty response

MANILA: The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) and the Philippine College of Surgeons (PCS) have renewed their partnership to respond to disasters and mass casualty incidents.

PRC chair and CEO Dick Gordon and PRC secretary general Gwen Pang signed a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with PCS President Vivencio Jose Villaflor III and PCS Treasurer Joselito Mendoza in Mandaluyong City on Thursday.

Through the MOA, the two organizations pledged to optimize each other’s assets and medical services, including training surgeons in Emergency Medical Services for mass casualty incidents, such as large-scale disasters, especially earthquakes and typhoons.

In case of patient bed shortage in hospitals, the PRC would build Emergency Field Hospitals while member doctors of the PCS would provide emergency medical duties to these field hospitals.

Villaflor cited the PRC’s equipment and facilities – Volunteer Emergency Response Vehicles, Operations Center, and satellite internet – as key factors in the partnership.

The PRC-PCS par
tnership began in 2012. For 12 years, they have collaborated on mitigation training sessions, including mass casualty incident simulation exercises, pandemic preparedness activities, and the PRC’s annual Traslacion Operation.

Source: Philippines News Agency

Prelate: Pray for fathers, honor their sacrifices

MANILA: A prelate on Friday called on the faithful to pray for fathers and acknowledge their sacrifices in raising their families in commemoration of Fathers’ Day this weekend.

In an interview with Church-run Radyo Veritas, Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines Office on Stewardship head Bishop Broderick Pabillo underscored the role of the father as the pillar of every household.

“Fathers have a great influence on us. We also owe a lot to them so fathers are important in human life like San Jose (Saint Joseph) who played and stood as the father of Jesus here on earth. Let’s thank God for our fathers, let’s pray for them and show our appreciation for them,” the Palawan prelate said.

He also said fathers need moral support from their wives and children for them to stay strong and capable in fulfilling their duties.

Pabillo noted that like God the Father, who provides for the needs of humanity, fathers also share in the mission of providing for the needs of the family, especially the children.

Bas
ed on history, the celebration of Father’s Day began on June 19, 1910 in Washington in the United States, initiated by Sonora Smart Dodd to honor her father, a Civil War veteran, William Jackson Smart.

In 1966, then US President Lyndon Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation designating the third Sunday of June as Father’s Day.

Source: Philippines News Agency

S. Korea, U.S., Japan expected to hold 1st trilateral multidomain exercise late June


South Korea, the United States and Japan are preparing to hold what would be their first trilateral multidomain exercise as early as this month, military sources said Friday, amid joint efforts to bolster security cooperation against North Korean threats.

The exercise comes in the face of North Korea’s continued provocations and Russian President Vladimir Putin’s impending visit to the North, which experts fear could deepen their military cooperation beyond arms transactions.

Discussions are under way on involving the Theodore Roosevelt, a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, for the exercise, with details, such as the schedule and the scale of the drills, yet to be confirmed, the sources said.

South Korea, the U.S. and Japan agreed to launch the exercise, named Freedom Edge, during their three-way talks held on the sidelines of the Shangri-La Dialogue security conference earlier this month. It takes its name from key bilateral exercises the U.S. holds with the Asian neighbors — Freedom Shield with South Ko
rea and Keen Edge with Japan.

Under the agreement, the exercise will take place across various domains, including air, maritime, underwater and cyber.

In April, the three countries held a two-day naval exercise involving the USS Theodore Roosevelt in efforts to improve their joint operability against North Korea’s evolving threats.

Source: Yonhap News Agency

Senator wants probe of NAIA security after ‘Vietnamese scandal’

MANILA: Senator Raffy Tulfo wants to probe the capability of security units detailed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 (NAIA 3) in Pasay City after a female traveler created a scene at the departure area.

‘Maghahain ako ng isang resolusyon para imbestigahan ang pangyayaring ito, partikular na and pag-handle ng security protocol sa airport facilities (I will file a resolution to investigate the incident, particularly the security protocols in airport facilities),’ the chairperson of the Senate Committee on Public Services said in a statement on Friday.

Reports said the Vietnamese woman was prevented from leaving for Ho Chi Minh City on June 8 after an immigration officer discovered her as an overstaying tourist and that she needed to pay fines.

The woman objected, became agitated, undressed and walked naked around the departure area.

Authorities managed to calm down the woman, dress her and escort her to the medical clinic.

‘Bagama’t pinayagan din na lumabas ng bansa ang Vietnamese nati
onal matapos na masuri sa medical clinic, kapansin-pansin sa lumabas na video na tila nagulat at hindi sigurado ang mga security kung ano ang gagawin sa sitwasyon katulad nito (While the woman was allowed to leave after medical treatment, it was evident in the video that security personnel seemed unsure of what to do in this kind of situation),’ Tulfo said.

The security failed to prevent the woman from walking towards the boarding gate and causing a commotion, Tulfo noted.

He said it is important to identify the respective roles and duties to be performed by the Philippine National Police Aviation Security Group, Manila International Airport Authority, Office for Transportation Security and private agencies to avoid the blame game.

‘It is about time to have a proper system of security protocols,’ he said.

Source: Philippines News Agency